Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Felt bento box and real bento boxes

So I am going a little crazy about bento boxes. The in-laws turned me on to them and after seeing some pictures with what can be done with them, I became hooked. So hooked in fact that for the May Craftster felt contest, I made a bento box


Starting at the 12 o'clock position and going clockwise - steamed potstickers and eggrolls, rice with nori flakes and a vegetables featuring carrots, cucumber and a lime, four sushi rolls, then seaweed salad with sesame seeds, and finally in the center, wasabi and pickled ginger.

all the little food items can be taken out



And here is my first attempt at a real bento boxes for me and my husband


his is one the left and includes
- 2 "spring rolls" with nori faces - not really spring rolls because we have no idea what we are doing. We bought soy wrappers by accident which proved to be hard to work with. Also we didn't have the right ingredients. But they tasted really good anyway!
- 2 rice balls - my first attempt at these so no filling - just rice
- Fried tofu and veggies
- Extra edamame

mine is on the right and is basically the same except that green exploding thing in the corner is a spring roll

I've made a couple more since but have no pictures. I really like the portion control aspect as well as the cheesy "fun" factor. Hubby likes that I am making a lunch for him. I am going to include some beer and a wife beater in his next one :)
We ordered some real bento boxes off of ebay - the containers we have now are boring. I hope they get here soon!

No comments: