Monday, May 21, 2007

etsy artist feature, erinzam


I really believe in Etsy and other sites like Etsy. I believe in the fact that people participating in this craft revolution really deserve to make a living at what they love. I understand that not everyone is going to like my things but I really want people to see what amazing and talented artists are selling their work right now. Never before have I been compelled to contact an artist after seeing their work. However, after happening upon erinzam's etsy shop, I had to let her know how much I am in love with her work and ask if she would kindly answer some questions. Being an awesome person she agreed.

- Please tell a little about your self

I'm in limbo between the completion of graduate school and getting a real job. So, I spend most of my time making things. I'd like to see how long I can get away with this because it is really starting to grow on me. In a nutshell, I'm a designer, bookbinder and artist who loves Adobe software, paper, acrylic paint and thrift store finds.

- What is your background?

I grew up in a very small Kansas town. I continued my education in Kansas until I recently completed my master's degree in graphic design at Fort Hays State University. I studied painting and bookbinding there as well. In the meantime, I had some great opportunities to travel and study abroad. And now I'm here, still in Kansas, riding my bicycle to my studio every day and eating as much foreign food as I can get my hands on.

- What inspires you?

My number one inspiration is my husband. He is a designer and illustrator who is always creating something fantastic. Here's my shameless plug for his cool website at benschlitter.com. Next in line? Junk. I love discovering possibility in something that's pretty much worthless. I'm also very inspired by things that are well designed, whether by nature or by humans. Interaction with other people, particularly other artists, is a great inspiration as well.

- Who is/are your favorite artist(s)?

I love the work of many of the artists that I personally know, including my Mom and several of my friends. When it comes to famous people that you might have heard about, I particularly enjoy the work of Milton Glaser, Christo and Jeanne-Claude, Dieter Roth, Frank Gehry, Stefan Sagmeister, and the typographers at Hoefler & Frere-Jones. There are hundreds of other artists that I admire, but I find it easier to relate to more contemporary work, mainly because of context.

- What is the best job you ever had? Worst job?

I don't know if it can get much better than working for myself! The worst? Anything that involves doing graphic design for large committees who can't make up their minds.


I want to thank Erin for taking the time to answer these questions. Not only does she have an amazing artist vision, she make hella sweet handmade books. Please be sure to also check out her website, www.erinzam.com

No comments: