Thursday, October 9, 2008

My first yarn from wheel spinning!


Is it pretty? No. Do I love it anyway? Yes.

I don't know why, but I decided a couple weeks ago that I needed to take a spinning class. I have been enjoying my drop spindle but I feel like I have hit a wall with how slow it takes me to spin up any decent amount of yarn. There is a great little fiber shop relatively close to us and they were offering a comprehensive introduction to spinning. Considering that life is short, I figured why not do it?

Well this is my yarn from our first class last night. 90 yards of corridale spun up in about 2 hours. It took a bit to get the hang of using a wheel - there is just so freaking much you have to do all at once! But holy sh*t. When you get the hang of it, it's so fantastic!

I am obviously not a master spinner but I was really proud of what I was able to leave with. And it goes so fast! It would take me 8+ hours to spin 90 yards on my drop spindle. And the zen-like feeling you get when you're in the zone is just great. Although the class is only 2 hours once a week, the owner of the store is letting us come in any time she is open to practice - if I wasn't so busy with the beaner I would be there everyday.

So now I just need to save up $550 for a wheel. Um, yeah - maybe I can win the lottery this weekend?

No comments: